Friday, November 4, 2011

under attack...

I still remember it like it was yesterday {actually it was yesterday}.  Snickerdoodle and I headed out for one of our many trips outside {potty training is a lot of work with puppies}.  Thankfully the weather has been fairly nice during they day.

Anyway, as I opened the door and stepped off the porch I noticed two huge Turkey Buzzards sitting on my neighbors {also known as my brother-in-laws} roof.  So I proceeded with caution.  Not even twenty steps off the porch they were off the roof and after us {or so it seemed}.


I don't like to call things bad names, but this thing is just ugly.  There are no other words.  Well a few, I looked on Wiki to see what they had to say about Turkey Buzzards.

Per Wikipedia: The Turkey Vulture is a scavenger and feeds almost exclusively on carrion. It finds its meals using its keen vision and sense of smell, flying low enough to detect the gasses produced by the beginnings of the process of decay in dead animals. In flight, it uses thermals to move through the air, flapping its wings infrequently. It roosts in large community groups. Lacking a syrinx—the vocal organ of birds—its only vocalizations are grunts or low hisses. In the U.S, the vulture receives legal protection under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. {So I guess that means taking him out with a BB gun is out.  Although, looking at him I don't think a BB would have done much damage}.

My first thought was a flashback to the Sandra Bullock movie The Proposal were they tell her not to let the dog Kevin outside or the eagles would get him.  And if you see the movie sure enough it happens.  So I grabbed Snickerdoodle and tried to run.  {Side note, I have a bad shoulder and can't run very well}.

My second thought "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!" {Wizard of OZ

I really don't know who's heart was beating faster mine or the dogs ?!


I'm going to go ahead and say mine.  Apparently, Snickerdoodle doesn't seem to taken by the incident.
Never a dull moment I tell you, never dull.

Happy Friday !!




3 comments:

  1. Lol. Those things are all over here as well. I actually think they are pretty amazing looking. They are so huge. But yes, ugly. Just discovered your blog and I love it. I'm a new follower. Hope you stop by and check out my blog. I also have a link party every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. Snickerdoodle is a mini goldendoodle who's about 15 weeks old now. They're are great dogs and added bonus they virtually don't shed!!
    Off to check out your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo, beautiful light. Such a sweet looking dog.

    ReplyDelete